Sunday, March 24, 2013

Favorites!

Hey Beauties! I'm here today with my all time favorite make-up items! I am super ecstatic about this post because over the past four years i have really learned what i like and what i expect in my cosmetics. Before i was a total girly girl and had a huge obsession with make-up, i was a girl who knew absolutely nothing about it! I really had no clue how to blend out foundation, what was the right color for my foundation, what a setting powder was, had no interest in blush, and i had no clue what a highlight or a bronzer was... Shall i go on? Anyways, i have found a few perfect items that i include in my everyday routine, some are essentials i can not live without, and others are items i reach for very, very, VERY often! Some cosmetics i am still searching for my perfects (for example: primer, eyeliner, bronzer, non-shimmer eye primer, pink lipstick, and a few other wonderful things), but i am so happy i have a few, so lets begin!

My first must have in my make-up collection is Maybelline SuperStay 24 hour foundation in Porcelain Ivory.

This foundation is stunning, its the perfect color for my light skin, its full coverage (covers my acne and acne scares with just one coat!), its not too heavy, does not break me out, i do feel like i can wear this for up to 16 hours (i have worn this to school and its lasted through tests, long walks, pep rally, and a football game with a colorguard performance- and has stayed stunning- however i do have to touch up once through the day (keeping in mind i have combination-oily skin... particularly in my t-zone, and dry patches on my face). Now Maybelline says "Foundation gives superior coverage and provides 24-hour wear. Superstay 24HR Makeup by Maybelline incorporates a Micro-Flex technology formulated to withstand heat, sweat and humidity - yet stays comfortable and looks flawless. Oil-free makeup will not transfer. Dermatologist tested. Fragrance Free. Suitable for all skin types."- and i really think it lives up to the claims hands down! I have tried Revlon ColorStay and was just not nearly as impressed with it as i am with Maybelline SuperStay. This has been a favorite of mine for 2 and a half years and is my first recommendation to everyone! *I apply the foundation with an E.L.F foundation brush and press it in with a sponge* (Ulta.com/$9.99)

I feel like what makes a foundation flawless is your skin care, and a moisturizer before applying foundation makes a lot of difference. My must have is expensive but completely worth it is Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion. Clinique says "A cult-favorite moisturizer that effectively smoothes and improves the complexion. This third step in Clinique's 3-Step Skin Care System was designed by Clinique's dermatologists to maintain optimal moisture balance for dry-to-combination skin types. The lightweight "moisture drink" slips easily onto the skin and absorbs quickly, leaving skin comfortable, soft, and healthy looking." Now my skin again is combination oily, but i was so impressed with this my 9th grade year (after a pageant in 8th grade where i got a travel size) that i actually got another! This is just enough moisture for my skin to make my dry areas moisturized and my oily areas not too shiny so i love it, now because this product is expensive i tend to only reach for special occasions, nothing can replace this because its such an amazing product but a cheaper moisturizer that i have been using for about a year is Clean and Clear advanced moisturizer, its not amazing but its not awful either. -I simply apply this with my fingertips- (Sephora.com/$14.00-$36.00)


My next favorite is something i find alot of beauty gurus use, as well as i, in everyday uses. Its Maybelline Dream Matte Powder in Cream, this is an absolutely stunning setting powder and everything i look for in a setting powder, it gives a little coverage, controls my shine in the oily areas of my face, is not cakey at all, and it super light weight. I love this and i just don't think there is anything quite like it. Maybelline says "A pressed powder innovation, Maybelline's Dream Matte Powder's ultra-fine formula delivers an amazing air-soft feel and silky texture". I really feel like it lives up to these standards, and combined with Maybelline SuperStay 24 hour Foudation its even better. I have used this for a half a year and I just simply love it and i really do recommend it. -I use an E.L.F. total face to apply this starting on the nose and applying it all over and on my neck as well- (Ulta.com/$7.49)


I find myself spending more time on my eyelashes than anywhere else on my face, because i want long, voluminous, and curled lashes and my expectation is for them to appear fake without the fake lashes. So i usually apply numerous mascaras for my lashes, and they ALWAYS look fake! So my recommendation is to apply a good mascara with volume (to begin with anyways), one i have been using for 3 and a half years... Maybelline Falsies Flared Waterproof Mascara (Waterproof mascara is key is keeping curled lashes)! Maybelline says: "Now ophthalmologist tested and contact lens safe. False lash glam goes flared! Up, out & over the top, instantly! Maybelline's exclusive spoon brush loads lashes with massive volume and presses them into a flared arch while the flexible-hold formula with pro-ker fiber provides a lasting curve." Now this mascara is great if you want natural (with one coat) or if you want fake... my method for this is curl the lashes and apply two coats of the mascara, curl the lashes again and apply two more (if you only want to use one mascara- which i don't usually go for i really enjoy a lengthening mascara as well but lets be honest here i use about 5-7 coats of mascara and curl my lashes twice every time so 2-3 mascaras is typical for me- But i love this mascara its great for volume and i actually use about 3 coats since it is also my base mascara.) i really recommend this if you are looking for volume and natural its good for either. (Ulta.com/$6.99) 
 
 
If there's one beauty tip every beauty knows it is that when it comes to your lashes, curls and volume are a beauty's best friend and we all want super-feminine lashes that complete any eye look, my eye lash curler of choice is NYC (New York Cosmetics) Eyelash Curler. Its cheap so that's my big plus, it fits my almond eye-shape perfectly, and the spring gives the curler alot of control and pressure so my lashes get a great effect with this product. From the looks its comparable to Revlons Eyelash Curler with a spring as well, if you ask me they are the same product just different names. NYC says: "If there's one beauty tip every savvy New York beauty knows it's that, when it comes to lashes, curls are a girl's best friend. NYC New York Color Eyelash Curler creates sensuous, super-feminine lashes that enhance any eye makeup look. You’ve found your secret weapon – now go and flaunt those curves!" this product alone made me want to try more NYC products (which i will be picking some up very soon), and made me never go back to any other eyelash curler! -i curl my lashes before and after mascara and sometimes i heat the curler to give a better curl and to hold the curl i use a waterproof mascara- (Newyorkcolor.com/$2.99)


Now who doesn't love the classic natural eye look? My go-to eyeshadow trio is Covergirl Eye Enhancers Trio in Shimmering Sands- another beauty guru favorite- and I'm pretty sure EVERYONE has tried this, loves it, or has looked at it and wanted it! This is a nice palette and has been my go-to eye shadow for 3 years, the shadows are lovely and the color and pigmentation is great! This palette has a very pretty champagne shadow which i love using all over the lid (sometimes just by itself) or as a highlight for my brows, the middle color is a nice and suttle tan shade that i use in my crease (or sometimes all over the lid for a one-color-shadow-kinda-day), and on the end is a gorgeous chocolate color that i use to contour and just place it in V of my eye. Covergirl says:"Cover Girl Eye Enhancers 3 Kit Shadows is a collections of great shades handpicked by Cover Girl's makeup pros. Designed for a classic look, these shadows blend effortlessly to bring your eyes out beautifully, without overshadowing." this was the only eyeshadow i brung to Disney World in Spring Break 2012 and it lasted all day!-Point blank- i highly recommend and i adore this palette considering i wear nothing but a neutral eye. -i apply the shadows with Urban Decay eyeshadow brush and blend them with an E.L.F. lip defining brush- (Ulta.com/$4.99)


So Covergirl's eyeshadow palette is great and i love it, but my splurge on eyeshadow is, of course, Urban Decay Naked Palette. I LOVE THIS! The 16 shadows are so velvety and pigmented, and the shadows are $18.00 each if you buy them separate and some you cant even get unless you purchase the palette... that's a $108.00 value and you are getting this palette for $50.00. The main colors i use from this palette is Virgin (as a highlight or an all-over-lid color), Sin (as an all-over-lid color), Naked (Brows), Sidecar (limited to this palette and I LOVE IT! i use this for the crease color and its so stunning!), Half-Baked (all over lid), and Smog (as a contour for my V). Urban Decay says: "Shades range from delicate champagnes to dark, gritty gunmetal, and feature FIVE NEW shades with names like Darkhorse, Virgin and Buck. We've also included a range of textures: everything from glitter to shimmer to matte. The chocolaty velvet case is emblazoned with the word "NAKED" in gold foil lettering. (Just wait 'til your friends see you pull this sexy thing out of your bag. Jealous!) The mirrored case also includes a professional quality, Good Karma Eyeshadow Brush, AND a travel-size Eyeshadow Primer Potion in original formula. This is a shadow palette EVERYONE can use, and a truly spectacular gift. Experiment with office-appropriate neutrals, summertime bronzy looks, or sultry smokiness. With such a diversity of neutral shades at your fingertips, there's more to neutral than meets the eye." and that statement is just what i was thinking! i love this palette and will probley purchase a new one for myself as a graduation gift (since i have had this palette for a year and a half)! i highly recommend this and i know its expensive but these are stunning eye shadows and works with every skin-tone which is great because sometimes i get asked to do make-up natural and i always know what will look good -i apply with the Urban Decay Shadow brush, and blend it out with an E.L.F. lip defining brush- (Ulta.com/$50.00-Sephora.com/$50.00).


Eyes, Eyes, and more Eyes... Why not? Eyes are possibly the best part of anyone and so your eyes should always look incredible... including eyeshadow. Sure i have my favorite eye shadows, but what makes them look great is a great primer and one i have fallen for in a half a year is NYX eyeshadow base in white pearl. This is a SPARKLING primer (how unique?!) so i love the added glitter effect it gives my eyes and i enjoy it even more because i can actually skip my highlighting step for eyes, because its a great white shade and its sparkling enough i can pull it off as a eyeshadow too! NYX Cosmetics says:"Maximize the intensity, longevity and unashamed brilliance of your eye shadow statements with our eye shadow primer pots. Each of the three NYX Eye Shadow Bases—for vibrant, pearl or neutral tones—creates a smooth canvas for color, increases its durability and prevents fallout."... it does make the eyeshadow more sparkly and makes nudes and metallics stand out more. It goes on easily, it stays a long time, and it even makes matte colors more dimensional! Tip let set for a minute before applying eyeshadow to make blending easier and prevent creasing. -i use my fingertip to apply and blend- (NYXCosmetics.com/$7.00-Ulta.com/6.99)


Now ladies lets be honest, lips get chapped, and lips must look good and feel good... my go to? Softlips chapstick! These little chapsticks have an SPF of 20 so they protect from the sun, moisturize wonderfully but you can still put on a lipstick without it slipping and sliding! It comes in a variety of flavors and usually in a two pack (some even come in a color) for example: Cherry, Vanilla, Acai Berry, Chai Tea, Papaya, Peppermint, Pomegranate, Pearl, Rose, Shimmer, Mint with a hint of Vanilla, Strawberry, and Wildberry (just to name a few) and they always have limited edition for each season which is something i love because i love matching everything with seasons! Softlips says: "Get soft lips and protect them with sunscreen in this lip protectant by Softlips" i really enjoy this and i always use them i have a ton around my room, in my purse, in my bathroom, in cars, even at my boyfriends! i reapply through the day because I'm addicted to reapplying chapstick and applying a ton of it! i really recommend this for everyday use! (Ulta.com/$2.99-$3.99-Drustore.com/$1.29-9.99)


As my last product for this blog... Revlon Lipbutter (who would have guessed?) in Crum Brulee. i love rocking a nude lip because its so elegant and effortless and looks good no matter what! this lipstick is perfect for that. It is a brownish nude rather than a pinky nude- but i love it all the same! this is a conditioning lipstick and has a sheer color, and a nice glossy finish that i adore! Revlon says :"Color Burst Lip Butter by Revlon is a buttery balm with beautiful shiny color to give you baby soft, healthy glowing lips 94% of women felt lips were softer, smoother, and instantly hydrated." Needless to say this is a must for my handbag! it feels luxurious and i love luxury! its a go to for me and i just feel like every girl needs a lip butter from Revlon the colors are pretty some more pigmented than others and if your wanting to try something new but don't want it to be so "WHOA!" these are perfect... from nude to pinks to bright reds to orange! (Ulta.com/$7.49)

 

I hope you beauty queens enjoyed my reviews and my favorites, i hope you will give them a try and tell me what you think i would love to hear! Xoxo-Kayla



No comments:

Post a Comment